Duolingo Stories : a good way for improving your listening and reading

I have to say I discovered this by accident. I was planning to write a post about whether Duolingo was good for learning a language (I co...


I have to say I discovered this by accident. I was planning to write a post about whether Duolingo was good for learning a language (I continue writing it) when instead of going to my page for learning German from Spanish, went to the page for learning German from English and so I discovered the new feature of Duolingo : the stories.

It was not the first time I have heard about something similar from Duolingo, because I am aware that have podcasts for the learners of Spanish at least and I am also know that this stories thing have been for a little time in Duolingo again for the Spanish learners but the news (at least for me) is that now you can do this stories in French, German and Portuguese (apart from Spanish as well) the only thing you have to do is to access to one of this courses from the version for the English speakers.

The second thing that surprised me is that, at least in German, there are lots of stories, way more than I had expected.

I am currently loving this feature of Duolingo and it has even become my favourite part of the whole page because it basically helps me with my main problem in German : the listening part.

How does Duolingo Stories work?


Duolingo Stories combine a narrator which will be telling the story through short sentences and the characters of the tale itself. During the narrative, there will be interactive exercises
  • For improving you reading / listening :This kind of exercises check whether you understood the story or not

  • Vocabulary exercises: Exercises like selecting a certain word in a sentences or matching the synonyms

  • Listening exercises : Some of them will be about listening to a certain sentence and writing it down or about completing phrases.

How to access Duolingo Stories if you are not learning a language from English

First of all, remember that so far the stories are only available in Spanish, German, Portuguese and French.
In the sidebar of Duolingo's page just click in the flag of the language you are currently learning, and you'll see all the other courses you've joined. Just click in add a new course.


You'll get to a page where more courses can be added, if you go to the right part of the page you'll see the option "I speak ..." select English.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images